Homeade Apple Empanada
This is the recipe for my delicious homemade apple empanadas. The ingredients will make 1 empanada, if you wish to make more than 1 simply multiply the ingredients as necessary. You may wish to brown them two at a time as more than 2 may be difficult to manage without burning.
- 1 apple empanda
- Preparation & cook time is about
- 1 apple
- 1 tbsp golden yellow sugar
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/2 tbsp of confectioner’s (icing) sugar
- 1 tbsp granola
- Peel, dice and core your apple. The pieces should be small so that they are easier to cook through.
- Place your apple, margarine or butter, golden sugar, and cinnamon in a sauce pan.
- Cook on medium/high to let the apples soften, and cook off the juice. Stir the apples often to avoid burning. The apples will be finished cooking when you can cut them easily with a spatula.
- Place your apple mixture in the tortilla and add the granola. Wrap tightly.
- Add the remaining tbsp of margarine (or butter) to a frying pan. On low heat begin to brown all sides of your tortilla; turning frequently. I recommend using tongs, so you can hold the tortilla while browning the sides. Low & slow will give you that nice brown crispy texture.
- Finish by cutting in half and sifting the 1/2 tbsp of confectioner’s sugar over the top.
- You can use brown sugar instead of golden yellow sugar, but I’m not a molasses fan.